Andrew Wommack wrote a whole book on the need to keep the balance of grace and faith. He is absolutely correct, grace is God’s part, faith is our only appropriate response to grace. Ephesians 2.8-9 says we are saved by grace through faith.
No-one is saved by grace alone. No-one is saved through faith alone. We are saved by grace through faith. When our faith touches God’s grace, salvation happens.
They balance is vital not just to the initial born again experience, but to the entire Christian walk. All the benefits of salvation, such as healing, prosperity and abundance, protection from God, peace of mind. They are all by grace through faith.
Faith is believing God’s Word and promises, and speaking them and acting on them before we see or hear a change. It’s being moved by God’s Word and promises over and above what we see and hear. It’s what some Bible teachers call living by revelation knowledge over sense knowledge.
Now, what I have seen in the last couple of years is an explosion of people grasping grace. That is good news, I love the grace of God. I preach the grace of God all over the world, and I oppose legalism with all my heart. But you have to balance grace with faith.
But I am actually watching people today balance their grace with unbelief. What do I mean? Rather than get in the Word, find out God’s promises and act in faith, act like Jesus, act like Abraham, and walk in faith, they stay carnal, act carnal and call it grace.
That’s not going to lead to a miraculous life. It’s not going to lead to abundance. The problem is because people have falsely labelled their carnality “grace”, they don’t have an incentive to change. So, I post this with all the love in the world, to change the labels to the true labels to help motivate people to find the balance.
- I don’t tithe because I am under grace not law! No – tithing started under grace and was done by the father of faith hundreds of years before law. You don’t tithe because of unbelief. Stop balancing your grace with unbelief, step out in faith and believe what God says about finances.
- I don’t go to church because I am under grace. Well, there was no church until there was grace. The church is a work of grace, and true grace people are attracted to the grace place, the local church. The reason people don’t go to church is that they simply do not believe what the Bible says about the importance of church. It’s not grace that means people don’t attend church – it’s unbelief.
- It’s not grace that means a man walks out of his marriage into the arms of another woman. It’s unbelief!
- It’s not grace to say that sowing and reaping have passed away, it’s unbelief.
- It’s not grace to gossip and be snide, it’s unbelief.
- Grace isn’t the reason you are unfruitful, it’s unbelief.
The good news is it is very easy to operate.in faith. Simply read your Bible, declare the promises and believe them.